SQL Certification and Courses
In this article, we’ve collected some of the best SQL certification courses available online. If you want a strong foundation in this powerful database manipulation language, try out one of these online SQL courses today.
Think of databases as the lifeblood of data science. In order to effectively wrangle and analyze data, you must be fluent in SQL to manage and retrieve data.
These SQL certification programs and courses will help you get started and eventually master SQL. They cover everything from joins, queries, syntax, and much more.
If you’re looking to learn SQL, you can gain a solid foundation in SQL to work confidently with databases and make it easier to manage the information you need.
1. SQL Nanodegree Program (Udacity)
With the Udacity SQL Nanodegree, you’ll study relational and non-relational databases management in order to build normalized, consistent, and performant data models. Additionally, you’ll learn how to use SQL commands to define, select, manipulate and join data tables. With this powerful skill set under your belt, you’ll be able to make insightful decisions and strategies that will drive any business forward.
- Introduction to SQL: Get a concise introduction to SQL by learning how to execute SQL commands, clean data, and optimize SQL queries for any business needs.
- Management of Relational & Non-Relational Databases: Learn the skills and techniques for designing and building relational data models so that you can manage your relational and non-relational databases for improved performance.
If you want to be able to make informed decisions through data science, Udacity’s SQL Nanodegree will teach you everything you need to know about the language. From defining and manipulating data tables to building databases, you will gain the skills and knowledge you need to normalize data schemas, clean data, optimize queries, and more. You will learn how to build efficient data schemas so that your SQL queries run as quickly and smoothly as possible. This is really how to take your skills in structured query language to the next level.
|Duration||2 months (10 hours per week)|
|Prerequisites||Basic understanding of data types, familiarity with OS, spreadsheets, and word processing programs.|
|Skills Acquired||SQL, Relational Databases, Non-Relational Databases|
2. Professional Certificate in SQL, NoSQL, and Relational Database Fundamentals (IBM)
IBM founded SQL language over 50 years ago so it makes sense to get certified with them, right? The IBM Professional Certificate in SQL, NoSQL, and Relational Database Fundamentals is designed to allow students to understand fundamental concepts of SQL databases as well as NoSQL databases such as MongoDB. While this program provides an overview of the basics of both relational and NoSQL databases, it also provides hands-on experience with these technologies.
- Relational Database Basics: This course introduces you to MySQL, PostgreSQL, and IBM Db2 to get you started on the right foot with a solid understanding of relational databases and Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS).
- Introduction to SQL: Whether you’re just starting out or need a refresher, this course will help you understand how to extract data from relational databases using SQL, the language of databases.
- NoSQL Database Basics: Learn the fundamentals of NoSQL databases and gain hands-on skills for working with MongoDB, Cassandra, and IBM Cloudant NoSQL databases.
The essence of data is the ability to use it in order to gain results. This is why the IBM Professional Certificate in SQL, NoSQL, and Relational Database Fundamentals is so important. Each one is just a different way to store data. This program gives you a unique opportunity to demonstrate your proficiency in these types of databases.
|Duration||4 months (2 to 3 hours per week)|
|Certification||Professional Certificate in SQL, NoSQL, and Relational Database Fundamentals|
|Coursework||3 skill-building courses|
|Skills Acquired||SQL, MongoDB, Cassandra and IBM Cloudant NoSQL databases.|
3. SQL Fundamentals Skill Path (Dataquest)
SQL Fundamentals Skill Path from Dataquest is a comprehensive, hands-on training program that provides you with the knowledge and skills to design and implement database solutions with SQL. If you’re new to working with relational databases, then this program will teach you how to filter, sort, summarize, join and perform SQL subqueries.
- Introduction to SQL and Databases: Start your journey with SQL with a course that will teach you the basics like building a function. Next, you’ll learn how to write clean and effective SQL code, and you’ll also learn about filtering from databases and how to make the best use of them for your own business.
- Filtering and Sorting Data in SQL: Learn how to filter and sort data in SQL with various optimization techniques. You’ll learn how to use various functions, operators, and expressions with any database.
- Summarizing Data in SQL: This course will teach you how to summarize data in SQL and how to use it to review and analyze large datasets.
With the widespread adoption of SQL, it’s never been a better time to learn this powerful language. Not only is SQL a vital skill for any modern data analyst, but it’s also a critical tool in terms of being able to turn raw data into actionable business insights. One of the best places to start when learning SQL is with a foundational course such as Dataquest’s SQL Fundamentals Skill Path courses. These courses will teach you the basics of SQL and provide you with an understanding of how to prevent common mistakes that can lead to an analysis that doesn’t provide the desired results.
|Duration||5 skill-building courses|
|Certification||SQL Fundamentals Skill Path|
|Skills Acquired||SQL, Relational Databases, Querying, and SQL Subqueries|
4. SQL Basics for Data Science Specialization (UC Davis)
This SQL Basics for Data Science Specialization from UC Davis will equip you with the skills needed to effectively utilize SQL commands. For example, you will perform data filtering, sorting, and summarization. You’ll also learn how to manipulate strings, dates, and numerical data from different sources for analysis. By using a Databricks workspace, you’ll be able to create an end-to-end pipeline that reads data, transforms it, and saves the result.
- SQL for Data Science: Take the first step in learning the basics of SQL, which will help you get started with your data analysis. The course will teach you how to write and execute simple queries before moving on to more complex ones.
- Data Wrangling, Analysis, and AB Testing with SQL: Learn everything from working with timestamps, joins, conditionals, and segmenting data. Finally, you will gain the skills and tools to build a predictive analysis and run an AB test.
- Distributed Computing with Spark SQL: Tackle the big data challenge with Apache Spark and learn how you can use it to transform your data by performing distributed computing.
- SQL for Data Science Capstone Project: The SQL for Data Science Capstone Project helps you showcase your progress and to boost your portfolio for a problem specific to data science.
Upon completion of the SQL Basics for Data Science Specialization, you’ll have a strong foundation in SQL to build a career in data science. It will teach you the basics of SQL so that you can assess and create datasets to solve business questions and problems. You’ll learn how to develop project proposals, select your data, perform statistical analysis and develop metrics. Then, you will present your findings and recommendations. Overall, you’ll be able to make sound decisions about your data-driven projects.
|Duration||4 months (5 hours per week)|
|Certification||SQL Basics for Data Science Specialization|
|Skills Acquired||SQL, Databricks, Apache Spark|
5. Data Science Fundamentals with Python and SQL Specialization (IBM)
The IBM Data Science Fundamentals with Python and SQL Specialization is a globally recognized data science credential that provides the knowledge and skills to effectively build your career in data science. This course teaches students how to work with large sets of data using Python and SQL. The focus is on building a deep understanding of foundational concepts like relational databases, statistical analysis, and Python programming.
- Tools for Data Science: From Jupyter Notebooks to Watson Studio, learn what tools you’ll need to go into data science, how to use them, and how to work with data.
- Python for Data Science, AI & Development: Get the foundational skills you need to develop a career in data science. This comprehensive course covers the fundamentals of artificial intelligence without any prior experience.
- Python Project for Data Science: Get hands-on experience in this Python project learning how to create a dashboard using Jupyter Notebook.
- Statistics for Data Science with Python: Gain practical knowledge of topics in statistics from data gathering to hypothesis testing. This course will teach you how to use Python and Jupyter to conduct basic data analysis and build statistical models.
- Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python: Learn the basics of relational database concepts and get started with learning SQL for data retrieval and analysis.
The Data Science Fundamentals with Python and SQL Specialization is a five-module track that teaches you the fundamental principles of data science, statistics, database systems, machine learning, and predictive modeling. Throughout the coursework, you will explore these topics and build your proficiency specific to SQL and Python.
|Duration||6 months (4 hours per week)|
|Certification||Data Science Fundamentals with Python and SQL Specialization|
|Skills Acquired||SQL, Python, Jupyter Notebooks, R Studio, GitHub, IBM Watson Studio, IPython, and Git|
6. Modern Big Data Analysis with SQL Specialization (Cloudera)
Relying on the power of big data, businesses are starting to use data for everything, from marketing and sales to data mining and customer retention. There are many ways in which Big Data can be analyzed. The Modern Big Data Analysis with SQL Specialization by Cloudera will teach you how to make sense of your data so you can make sense of your data.
- Foundations for Big Data Analysis with SQL: Gain an overview of big data, database systems, and SQL, as well as how to install and configure an environment (virtual machine) for exercises in the specialization courses.
- Analyzing Big Data with SQL: Learn the ins and outs of big data SQL engines Apache Hive and Apache Impala. The course will teach you how to analyze large datasets with SQL databases, covering the main clauses of the SQL SELECT statement.
- Managing Big Data in Clusters and Cloud Storage: This course will teach you everything you need to know to manage big data in clusters and cloud storage. You’ll learn the fundamentals of distributed SQL engines like Apache Hive and Apache Impala that can run queries against data stored in the cloud.
These programs provide students with the fundamentals necessary to understand how big data works and what tools can be used for their work. The Modern Big Data Analysis with SQL Specialization will also give you a taste of big data warehouses like Apache Hive and Apache Impala for providing analysis and querying.
|Duration||4 months (3 hours per week)|
|Certification||Modern Big Data Analysis with SQL Specialization|
|Skills Acquired||SQL, Apache Hive, Apache Impala|
7. Introduction to SQL (DataCamp)
The DataCamp Introduction to SQL provides a comprehensive course on SQL and beyond, teaching you the basics of syntax in a way that is shared by many types of databases. This course will teach you the basics of querying tables in relational databases such as MySQL, SQL Server, and PostgreSQL.
- Selecting columns: Use basic SQL commands to make selections from relational databases.
- Filtering rows: Explore different options to filter rows using a variety of operators and match patterns.
- Aggregate Functions: Summarize data using aggregate functions to return a numerical value for better insights.
- Sorting and grouping: Learn how to sort and group data within a relational database.
You’ll learn how to navigate these databases using the SQL language to drive powerful insights from databases. Although learning SQL can be difficult, the Introduction to SQL from DataCamp course makes it easy with step-by-step tutorials and exercises. With this knowledge under your belt, you’ll be able to get started with the expanding field of data science.
|Course||Introduction to SQL|
|Skills Acquired||MySQL, SQL Server, and PostgreSQL|
8. Analyze data with SQL Skill Path (Codecademy)
If you want to learn SQL and become a professional database administrator, you can complete the SQL Skill Path from Codecademy. This is one of the best ways to learn SQL quickly, because of its hands-on online platform. It also includes various projects so you can apply your skills and reinforce what you’ve learned. This Codecademy skill track covers all sorts of topics like queries, aggregates, and joins, so make sure to check them out.
- Getting Started with SQL: Get started in the SQL world with a course designed for beginners. Break down complex queries and learn to write your own—then use what you’ve learned to complete real-world projects.
- Analyze Real Data with SQL: You’ll be able to practice SQL commands as you learn more advanced techniques. And you can set up a SQL database on your personal computer and write queries to find real-world solutions to business problems.
- Advanced SQL: Get the practical experience of SQL with a course that teaches you advanced SQL skills such as window, math, and date functions.
Learning SQL certification from Codecademy is the perfect way to learn this popular language. The Codecademy SQL Skill Path provides easy-to-follow instructions that walk you through the process of learning SQL, which will help take away any confusion and provide you with a solid foundation for understanding how SQL works. If you’re not sure where to start, the courses are designed to be self-paced so that you can get started at a pace that’s right for you.
|Certification||Analyze data with SQL Skill Path – Certificate of Completion|
|Skills Acquired||SQL, Data Science, Command Line, SQLite, Databases, Queries, Tables|
9. Introduction to Structured Query Language (University of Michigan)
This is a single course that is an introduction to database fundamentals and SQL. You will learn how to write queries, run data analysis, use table functions, and much more. By the end of the Introduction to Structured Query Language course, you will have learned enough database fundamentals to feel comfortable writing your own queries in SQL.
- Introduction to Structured Query Language (SQL): This course begins by providing an introduction to both SQL and PHP. Next, learn how to design relational databases and the types of JOIN operations and test your knowledge with quizzes.
We only recommend the Introduction to Structured Query Language course if you want to go into web development. This course is the perfect introduction to SQL for those who want to learn about databases and how to query them. The goal of this course is to teach you the essential skills in an easy-to-follow way. Although you won’t learn intermediate SQL skills, it still provides a good basis for your career.
|Instructor||University of Michigan|
|Course||Introduction to Structured Query Language (SQL)|
|Skills Acquired||SQL, MySql Database, PHP, Phpmyadmin|
10. Introduction to SQL (Davidson College)
An Introduction to SQL from Davidson College course is an ideal way for beginners who want to learn about this important tool which will enable them to maximize the potential of their skillsets. The course will teach you how to write queries and set up database projects where you’ll build an application from scratch. Knowledge gained from the course will be transferable into your future career as well as provide you with the basics you need.
- Introduction to SQL: Understand how databases work, including the principles of relational databases and how to create tables. It also provides training on how to write queries and run several types of analyses.
As this course is just for beginners, we only recommend this course if you are just starting out. With this Introduction to SQL course from Davidson College, students will learn just the basics of relational database design. For instance, they will establish basic data manipulation and analysis related to SQL queries and basic commands.
|Duration||4 weeks (3 to 5 hours per week)|
|Course||Introduction to SQL|
Learn SQL Online
So whether you’re a beginner or an experienced user, this list of SQL online courses will help you get started on your journey to learning structured query language.
In data science, learning Structured Query Language (SQL) is a great skill to have. It can help you get more out of your database and make it easier for you to retrieve data with ease.
SQL can also be used with other programming languages, which means that knowing these skills could lead to better job opportunities and higher pay rates than those without them.
If you want to learn how to use SQL, there are plenty of great online courses available. All can help give you the foundation needed to excel in data science. These were the best SQL online courses that we recommend.
Related SQL Certification Courses
If you’re interested in getting the right credentials and gaining expertise in Structured Query Language, try enrolling in one today. Otherwise, you can try out one of the data science and programming courses below.